VUWSA and Victoria (in partnership) provide free inter-campus bus passes to students (aka Free Bus Pass Initiative).
If you have two classes at different campuses on the same day, you're eligible for free travel costs. Pop by VUWSA – we'll load 10 free bus trips on your Snapper card. Easy! Once these have run out, you can come in and collect another 10 passes, provided that you still have classes at more than once campus!
How do I receive a free bus pass?
If you're an undergraduate student:
- Fill in the form below
- You'll need to bring a copy of your MyAllocator timetable (with both lectures and tutorials on it) to VUWSA. You will only be required to provide this once per trimester, when you first apply for your free pass.
- Current study timetable which shows what classes you're doing, at which Campus, and on what days for whatever the current trimester is.
- Your Student ID.
You're only entitled to a free bus pass if you produce the above document(s) and have classes or tutorials at two different Campuses on the same day. If you have classes or tutorials on separate days, you are not eligible for a free bus pass.
Intercampus Pass Form
If you're a postgraduate student:
- You'll need to produce a letter, written by your supervisor on Victoria University letterhead, stating you're an Honours, Masters, PhD or GradDip student.
- Include in the letter your name, Student ID number and that you require a bus ticket in order to travel between Campuses for research purposes.
- Your supervisor must sign the letter with their name typed underneath.
- All letters presented must be dated, with a start and end date specified by your supervisor.
Questions? We have answers
What routes can I access under the Free Bus Pass Initiative?
The One Zone 10-trip Snapper Pass is valid for travel from 7am to 7pm (Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays) on routes 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, and 47.
The Two Zone 10-trip Snapper Pass is valid for travel from 7am to 7pm (Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays) on routes 17, 18 and 47.
How many trips am I entitled to?
If you meet the above criteria, we'll issue you with a 10-trip Snapper Pass. Undergraduate students will then be given a date on which they may return to collect further passes. This date is decided by calculating how many trips you make per week, and how long the pass should last you based on this number. (e.g: if you make three trips per week between Campus, you will have three weeks plus one trip in the following week before you can come back.) Postgraduate students may have passes re-issued as necessary.
Where can I get the free 10 trip bus pass loaded onto my Snapper card?
10-trip passes are issued from the VUWSA reception located on Level 4 of the Student Union Building in Kelburn (Victoria Campus).
I do not have a Snapper card. Where can I get one and how much will it cost?
You can purchase a Snapper card from the VUWSA Kelburn Office. The card will cost you $10. After you've purchased the Snapper Card, we will top it up with 10-free trips if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Can I use the same Snapper card for personal and University use? Is there a way to keep my personal top-ups (from my own money) separate from my free passes from the University?
If you use your Snapper card for personal reasons as well as travelling between classes, your free 10-trip bus pass account will only be deducted when you travel on the designated routes during term time. If you travel outside of your designated course-routes, your Snapper card will automatically revert and deduct trips from your personal account.