On Monday morning (February 20) the Kelburn library reopened after being closed following the latest big earthquake. It has been deemed safe and good to go, but there are a few changes.
It’s not an ideal situation and VUWSA have been working with the university to make sure the changes are going to be manageable for students. If anything is unclear or you have concerns about the situation, come see us or get in contact and we’ll help where we can.
The lifts will not be working for some time: So if you’re looking for something on the sixth floor you’ll have to use the stairs.
- There is a plan for staff and students with disabilities to still be able to access the library’s physical resources if they’re unable to use the stairs for any reason. You can find information on that here.
- We know the last thing you want to do when you’re scrounging for essay sources is climb several flights of stairs so we’ll do our best to let you know when the lifts will be back in action.
- The university has asked that you limit cellphone use on the stairwells as a safety precaution.
New opening hours: There are now new, extended opening hours in line with the other campus libraries.
These hours are:
· Monday to Friday: 8.00am to midnight (Victoria Info Ihonui service points will be open from 8.00am to 8.00pm)
· Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 10.00am to 10.00pm (Victoria Info Ihonui service points will be open from 10.00am to 3pm)
These hours are for the entire year, apart from the University Christmas shutdown and Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
There are also electronic resources and digitised collections which are always available to students online.
Computer availability: There will be less computers available for students on Level 1 because a bunch have been set aside for staff who can’t use the stairs.
However more computers will be set up in the Hub and on Level 2 of the library, meaning there are the same number of total computers available in the library. This will be in place by the start of Trimester 1 on March 6.
Commerce Library: The Commerce Library, located at Rutherford House, will open on Wednesday, March 1, at 8.00am.
To make the move, the Commerce Library (currently in Railway West Wing) will be closed from 5.00pm on Monday 27 February.
Chill out space: If you want a comfortable space to take time out, relax, find regular support and connect with other students The Bubble is a great time out space. It is located on level 2, Student Union Building, and run by students. Come along, take a break and enjoy some of the activities available in this space.
Fees: The Library will continue to waive late fees up to the start of Trimester 1 on March 6.
If you have any questions please contact Victoria Info Ihonui staff on level 1 or 2 of the Hub or email [email@example.com].